Deleted WhatsApp without a backup and lost a cherished group chat and images.

• Replies:4
M Dev
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 14, 2024, 8:15:23 PM via Website

I was deleting and reinstalling various apps that had grown giant Docs & Data files on my iPhone 15 (things like Facebook and YouTube) to clean up the storage space. I have stupidly deleted WhatsApp in the process and upon reinstalling have realised the iCloud backup function in the app was not on.

I have searched on my PC for a recent iTunes backup but there is nothing on there either.

Although I can cope with losing individual conversations and 99% of the group chats, one group chat in particular included images and videos of my 2 children from the moments they were born, with media shared by all members of the family, and I’m absolutely gutted to think I can’t see them again (it was around 2.2GB of media).

My wife has the same group chat, so is there any possibility that I sign in to her mobile using my Apple ID, backup her WhatsApp chat to the iCloud in the app, and then restore that specific group onto my iPhone when the Apple ID is back on my phone? Would that work?

Many thanks.

xiamia
  • Forum posts: 98

Mar 21, 2024, 10:57:00 AM via Website

Sorry to hear that. Can your wife save the images and videos of your 2 children to her phone and resend to you?

Helpful?
M Dev
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 21, 2024, 11:18:02 PM via Website

She could yes, but it’s not just her photos, also my parents and her parents. 2.2GB in total. Plus it would all be out of chronological order, as the photos were all taken as the boys grew up.

I just need to know if the iCloud swapping idea would work.

Helpful?
Deactivated Account
Abu huraira Mughal
  • Forum posts: 15

Mar 25, 2024, 6:24:17 AM via Website

No, that won't work. WhatsApp backups are tied to the specific Apple ID and phone number, so you can't use your wife's backup to restore your chat history.

Helpful?
Abu huraira Mughal
  • Forum posts: 15

Mar 26, 2024, 6:09:55 AM via Website

No, you cannot restore WhatsApp data from one Apple ID to another. Each iCloud account is unique and cannot be shared between devices.

Helpful?